No, Sorry, It was not just a bad dream. Donald Trump really is the President…
Bad news, team, it wasn’t just a random nightmare. It is our reality. It is high time we start treating this as being real, not a reality TV show starring a loud, abrasive, misogynistic nut case. We are stuck with this orange faced scarlet, stuffed popinjay as the leader of the free world.
Donald Trump is our president and we are going to have to deal with that reality. He hates his staff, he hates his wife, he hates America and he hates Americans. What he loves is authority and praise. Give him those and he will let you get away with all kinds of infamy. Don’t believe me? Ask Steve Bannon, Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, and (more-locally) Todd Rokita.
An even more-scary guy is the Vice President. Google Mike Pence’s record of hatred as Governor of Indiana and his terms in Congress. Go ahead, I’ll wait. (cue elevator Muzack)
See?! You probably also found out about his failed congressional campaign where he used campaign funds to pay his mortgage and car payments. Shining model of integrity, that one. And let’s not even get started on his moronic attempts to use the word “freedom” in legislation to actually impose discriminatory laws on people of differing race, religion, gender, preference, and/or identity.
So how bad can this Trump presidency actually be? Fair question! Let’s look at some of his “accomplishments,” shall we?
- 87 mentions via interview, speech, or twitter about the size of his coronation–oops–inauguration crowd. Dude, Bigger DC Crowds have turned up for taco Tuesday. Get over it. You got the guy with the launch codes and “She” didn’t. Enough with the over-compensating…
- Zero Viable Tax Plans in place.
- Zero progress against ISIS. He was going to have a plan on day 1, then day 30, and then ISIS would be over by month 3. We’re waiting.
- He was going to turn over all money his businesses received from the Federal (or foreign) governments to the Treasury. The total is upwards of 150 million so far. Can we have it now, please?
- He was going to repeal Obama Care and give us something waaaaaaay better on day 1. We are a bit past due and the best the Republican Congress can propose is to take healthcare away from 24,000,000 Americans and give coverage to zero people that do not have it today. Good news though, the Insurance companies get massive tax breaks.
- He was going to drain the swamp on day 1.
- OK. I am not law enforcement, but it does not take James Comey to see he has put nothing but zillionaires and special interests all over his cabinet. In every case but his second NSA chief the President has installed people who directly intend to destroy whatever they have been put in charge of. Frankly, I’d be happier with the three stooges in the White House.
- Flynn. Wow, can we just all agree that a criminal traitor is probably not the best choice for the head of National Security? He was fired in 2014 for integrity and dignity issues and had his clearances yanked. Do we surmise that he was born again to truth, justice, and the American way in the following 2 years?
- Comey. OK the guy is a bit of a show boat, but he works in a job once held by J Edgar Hoover. Sometimes it is the job that makes the crazy. Still, he finally got after this whole Russian interference and graft thing and suddenly is fired “for being mean to Hillary Clinton” Really? As previously reported on this Blog, 10 different White House Officials gave 13 different reasons for the firing and the President tossed them all into the wood-chipper at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue by admitting he fired Comey because he refused to end the Russian investigation. Obstruction of Justice, much?
- The Loveable Kushner family. Soooo… The President’s son in law has a sister who is over in China promising immigration visa’s to anyone who invests 500K or more in the latest family real estate swindle. Emoluments aside, that is a federal crime. A bit swampish as well..
- The Jobs plan. He promised the white working class in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky, and Michigan that he would bring millions of jobs back to those hard working states. If he could do it, that would be great. Even as a strong critic of his techniques, I would praise that. But he didn’t deliver. So far his jobs plan is to give his family and friends jobs in the West Wing and the Cabinet.
- Making the Hulk (and other crazies) Angry. What in the world is going on with Trump and Tillerson going out of their way to offend, well, everyone. Every press conference with a foreign dignitary is a massive embarrassment for the dignitary and our country. Russia is distancing from the US, China just made a huge trade deal with practically everyone but the US, North Korea is launching ballistic missiles monthly–and they are starting to work. The UK is shaking its collective Brexiting head, Germany isn’t taking calls, and this week the Trumpster fire goes on the road to offend the entire middle east in one shot. Heck, the only visit that went well for Trump was Israel, and then the Tantrum in Chief gave Israeli intel on ISIS to the Russians in that meeting where he let the Soviet…erm..Russian Press in the Oval Office but no American Press.
Yeah. So, this Trump Presidency is really bad. Congress is doing nothing about it because they have figured out that all they have to do is troop up to the White House and say “Heil Cheeto” a few times to get a free pass on anything they want. I have no confidence in our Republican Congress and we need to replace a bunch of them with Progressives who have a very simple agenda:
- If you live here you get healthcare. Boom. That’s it. One payer, one system, everyone is covered. There is around 1.9 Trillion dollars a year in useless admin costs that vanish if we do this one thing. We can pay for it by not giving billionaires any more tax cuts, by using Medicaid (the most efficient healthcare admin system on earth), and stopping that 500 Billion a year bomber project–yeah those bombers the air force does not want.
- Replace every coal and oil job with a sustainable energy job. Average wage for coal and oil workers is $24.50 an hour. Average wage for sustainable energy workers is $33.60. I love going to the Indianapolis airport and seeing that ocean of solar panels. We need more. Get Elon Musk to put Tesla batteries in every house and solar roofs on every building.
- Climate change. It is real. It is non partisan. It is and will happen. It is not speculative, liberal science as Todd Rokita has claimed.
- Foreign Policy.
- Stop being the world’s policemen.
- Stop building walls
- Stop sending trillions overseas. When you give away stuff for free trying to earn friendship, security, and respect, you get none of that
- Start writing fair trade bills that encourage all economies involved to prosper.
- Stop pissing off every country on the planet.
- Inclusion and Equality.
- Stop trying to make any particular religion the law of the land
- Stop Candy coating discrimination and then pretending surprise when people immediately spot it for what it is.
- Follow the laws of the land with regard to equality. If you live here and are allowed to be here you will not be subject to discrimination of any kind with regard to race, religion, gender, preference, or identity.
- Women’s health care. Stop meddling. No group of people get to sit in a crowded, hateful room in Washington, DC., and sign away a woman’s right to make her own healthcare decisions. Stop it now.
- Guns. Follow the laws of the land. Modify them as needed.
These are fairly simple things to put on the table and discuss. We need more discussion, not less. We need more debate, less name-calling. Progressives need to watch themselves against any sign we are slipping into the name-calling and hate mongering. This America belongs to all of us, not just our particular team on any given Sunday. We need to act like it and that includes me. I have a reader I have specifically given permission to poke me if I slip from what I expect of others. I’d recommend we all have that safety net and work together a collective nation to survive the Trump Nightmare™ and elect a better government–starting in November of 2018. Who knows, maybe in 2019 we’ll get Congress members who are unafraid to meet their people….
I know, I know, crazy idea, it could never work…